Monday 30 January 2012

LESSON 1

In my first ever drama lesson at Redlands we were given sheets on  Australian theatre, the background of it and how it has changed up until the present day  and how it has changed over time. We read these sheets and made key notes in our books which you can see in picture 5.
Next we chose our groups and we had to complete activity 1 on “exploring our cultural images”.  The task was to create a short situation in our group that reflects our perception of a typical Australian situation.  We were encouraged to use particular Australian locations and language ie surfing or at a barbie and we were encouraged to emphasize the “Australianess” in our scene.  Our group chose to go for the surfing and the typical Bondi Rescue lifesaving scene.  Danny and I acted out being life guards and we talked amongst ourselves about the “hectic” waves and then had to go save  the surfer, Elizabeth,  from the shark approaching.  We ended this scene with a freeze-frame. 
In this scene I worked with Danny and the new girl Elizabeth who at first was obviously nervous but as we discussed the scene and acted it out she became more confident.  I think we worked well as a team as we listened to each other and incorporated our ideas into the scene we acted out.
The focus of the lesson was on “what makes Australians Australian?”.  The goals of the lesson were to improve on our improvisation skills and working as a team.
We watched a few groups perform.  My favourite group was Jemima and Rhiannon as they acted out a typical surfer dudes on the beach checking out the beach babes.  I thought the use of the “bogan” language, accents and their movements portrayed a very comical scene. I think other groups could have improved by making their freeze-frame last longer to emphasize the ending of their act.
Even though we didn’t get to show our scene I think we could have improved on our work by embracing the Australian “twang” accent which I will put forward to the group in our next lesson.
We successfully completed all our work and we all felt that improvisation was more difficult than we thought but personally I think we did improve as the lesson progressed.
To improve our scene it would have helped to perform in front of a crowd and receive their feedback for next time.
As I have visited the globe theatre in England as my old school helped rebuild it by founding it,  I knew a lot about English’s history of theatre but I loved learning about Australia’s theatre history too.
I was interested in how the costumes may have changed over time in Australian theatre so I researched and found some photos, shown in picture 6 and 7.
Out of the two activities we did today I found the theory part most interesting as from a young age I have been to many theatres in London and thoroughly enjoyed the experience.


what we based our sketch on - bondi rescue 


Day dress, silk brocade, about 1841-1846.

Mans court suit, silk velvet and silk embroidery, about 1790-1810.





handout 1
notes i wrote about australia theatre



handout 2

handout 3

handout 4



No comments:

Post a Comment